The award is presented annually to small businesses who are making a positive impact on their communities, especially in the midst of troubling economic times.
LaTefa Terry of LaFayette Physical Therapy was surprised and grateful to receive the award, which was announced Friday, Feb. 8, and places her business in the running for the national Community Excellence Award, which will go to one of the 100 country-wide finalists and is decided through online voting.
Terry was especially pleased to receive the award since the U.S. Chamber of Commerce mentioned that “this year, they had more applicants (for the Blue Ribbon Small Business Award) than they’ve ever had,” she said.
To keep the momentum going and really put LaFayette on the map, she hopes she can make a splash on a national scale by winning the Community Excellence Award as well. The Community Excellence Award includes a $10,000 cash prize from the U.S. Chamber and will be presented May 1 at America’s Small Business Summit 2013 in Washington D.C.
Terry asks that the people of LaFayette and Walker County take a few moments to go online and vote for LaFayette Physical Therapy to express their appreciation for the business and the impact it makes on the community.
For years Terry has been an integral part of health advocacy and awareness in the greater LaFayette community. She volunteers regularly with the senior center and sponsors a “seniorcize” day each year as well as monthly lunch and learn events at the senior center; she also works with local school systems and her business provides on-the-job training for interns from area high schools as well as Georgia Northwestern Technical College.
To vote for Lafayette Physical Therapy for Small Business of the Year:
1. Go to dreambigaward.wufoo.com/forms/community-excellence-award-2013
2. Click on the arrow under “Who are you voting for?” for a list of businesses and choose “LaFayette Physical Therapy”.
3. Enter your name and email address in the spaces provided.
4. There is a space provided for comments. It is optional, but any comments would be greatly appreciated.
5. Answer two quick yes or no questions and click “Submit”.
6. A thank you screen will appear and confirm that you voted successfully.